- Drill with a large drill bit
- Saw capable of cutting through metal (I used my reciprocating saw with a metal blade, but a jigsaw with a metal blade or even a handsaw with a metal blade would do the trick, although that’s going to take more elbow grease than I wanted to invest.)
- Tire of whatever size you choose
- Soil and any soil amendments (This is going to depend on what pH range you are trying to achieve in the bed based on the plants you will be planting there.)
- Newspaper or cardboard (If you opt for the newspaper, make sure that it is black and white print, not color print as it could potentially contain heavy metals.)
- Paint or some way to cover the outside of the tire if they are exposed to sun as they can really heat up the soil and damage your plants.
I started off by selecting my tires and drilling a hole large enough for my saw blade to fit through. In my case I arbitrarily selected a 1-1/4″ hole saw bit.